The current WordPress visual editor hasn’t change in many years. Other platform such as Medium or Ghost provides really unique and refreshing experience for writers, so why can’t we expect this from WordPress. Well many professionals have been working on the new Gutenberg WordPress editor from past 6 months to make this editor adding some rich content simple and more enjoyable. This article is all about the new WordPress Gutenberg editor VS Tiny MCE and we will also discuss about some pros and cons which will give you real picture about all these editors.
Gutenberg is introduced to offer you the new editing experience that is due to be released in a new version of WordPress.
What is WordPress Gutenberg?
Gutenberg is a new editor which is going to be introduced in WordPress new version. Basically it is named after the famous inventor Johannes Gutenberg who invented printing press. The current visual editor requires a lot of us to utilize short codes and HTML to make things work.
The professional is trying to make the editor work easy and simple. They are embracing “little blocks” and hope to add more advanced layout options.
It is currently in Beta and testing phase, it is not ready to run on production sites yet. The team is encouraging people to try it out and give their feedback so that the team can make important changes on these.
What is TinyMCE?
Basically TinyMCE is a WordPress plugin created by Andrew Ozz that will let you add, remove and arrange the buttons which are shown in visual editor tool. It includes 15 plugins that are automatically enabled or disabled depending on what buttons are chosen. But it works with WordPress 3.9 and above version.
Some of the great features given by WordPress Gutenberg and TinyMCE
Feature offered by Gutenberg
- Totally change your blogging experience as it will save your time in editing the content. Tries to includes short codes as blocks.
- Gutenberg press allows you to change the font size of any paragraph block.
- In Gutenberg press we get Table of content two different places. You can easily change your heading types.
- You can also change the number of columns from the editor itself. Cropping of image is also turned on and off from the editor itself.
- With this Press you can change the font and background color of all the paragraph blocks.
- It also provides call to action button, by which you can easily customize the button.
Some of the additional features which you can get in WordPress Gutenberg are
- Text in Featured Image:
You can now easily add the text in the centre of the image and also able ot adjust the opacity of the image.
- Cover Text:
You may see the cover text ie, text with the background color and can be aligned across the page horizontally.
- Latest Post Section:
You can add the blocks called latest post which will feature the latest post posted on the blog or website. You can also customize the number of post you want to show.
Features Offered by TinyMCE:
In TinyMCE you can use 4×4 table by using plugin or you can write an HTML code. Then move to visual mode to input the entries.
TinyMCE serves limited features, for example bloggers had to move the short codes and custom HTML to include the desired section to the blog.
- With the present editor you can adjust only 6 font sizes in the heading.
- There is no table of content in the present TinyMCE editor.
- Default font color in the present editor is black. And the background color is white.
- Call to action feature is missing in TinyMCE.
Conclusion: Gutenberg is developed to make the work of blogger way easier. It also included the sliding effect to the categories. In this editor most of the edits can be done from the document only. Quite easy to edit the source code. So if you also want to make this editor more powerful you can use and raise an issue to improve the Gutenberg or you can also join the development team at Github. Hope by this article you have gain enough knowledge to use Gutenberg.